SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
May 20 - 22, 2019.
Information contained in this site is for the 2018 program.
Information for the 2019 program not yet available.
The Comprehensive Harvard Medical School Diabetes Update
At a time when our diabetes knowledge and treatment options have advanced so much, why do clinical outcomes remain suboptimal, with so many patients unable to achieve good control of their disease?
The answer is rooted in three challenges:
- Keeping pace with rapidly advancing options for diabetes care
- Accounting for a patient’s unique biological, psychological, social, financial, educational, and cultural factors
- Overcoming structural healthcare barriers, requiring clinical strategies to fit within a particular mold
This new Harvard Medical School update offers practical strategies to address these challenges and updates that ensure you can deliver state-of-the-art care for your patients with diabetes.
This program affords you the opportunity to learn from leaders in the field of diabetes who are distinguished for their outstanding teaching, knowledge, and innovations in clinical care.
- Expert guidance to design more effective and more comprehensive treatment programs (non-pharmacological and pharmacological) for patients with diabetes
- Steps to identify and account for biological, psychological, emotional, social, financial and cultural factors that impact the development and progression of diabetes
- The newest data on the connections among diabetes, cardiovascular disease and renal disease and specific recommendations to develop appropriate treatment plans for patients with these conditions
- New guidelines and practice recommendations for nutrition and physical activity
- How to navigate the recent and controversial data related to some anti-diabetes medications
- New technologies in diabetes care: updates and implications for day-to-daycare
- Research breakthroughs
- Tips and tricks for navigating barriers within healthcare systems
- Strategies to assess and improve low adherence to therapy
TREATING SPECIAL POPULATIONS
This program also provides comprehensive education to optimize the diabetes care you provide for special populations:
- Racial/ethnic minorities
- The elderly
- Children and adolescents
- LGBT patients
- Pregnant patients
- Patients at low socio-economic levels
- Patients with low health literacy/education
- Patients with depression/emotional distress
In the course of three days, you will gain new, encompassing, evidence-based approaches to address the challenges seen in most clinical practices. More importantly, you will leave with knowledge—part art, part science—to make a real difference in the lives of your patients.